Why I didn’t write more today

A late start this morning and I’m now home twice a week with our little girl, but I got about 45 minutes of writing in during her naps, which would have been fine if I hadn’t gotten stuck in the middle of some dialogue.

Didn’t I recently mention how much I enjoy dialogue?

Well, today it just wasn’t happening. There’s a bit of exposition that needs to happen, but I’m having trouble finding the character’s words for it, rather than my more narrative/authorial/expository summary. I tried and tried and tried again, scratching out 3/4 or more of it. Frustrating, but not unusual for me. That said, the most frustrating part is that I could have written so much more in that time.

On the other hand, we took two walks in the lovely weather this morning (stupid traffic on our sidewalk-less road aside), visited the library (story time starts in a couple weeks!), finally met the three miniature horses that live down on the corner (one’s only 4 months old – amazing to think they can be even smaller!), and then our winter wood arrived and my wife and I did this:

Wood stacked in basement

Why I didn’t write more today

One cord down, one to go.

So, yeah, no complaints.*


* Except for the mosquito that bit Lillian (because I forgot to pout bug spray on her) and sent me into a totally irrational tizzy about West Nile and EEE and the requisite terrible father spiral. FYI: for infants, when the CDC called back, they said to keep an eye out for up to 2 weeks for fever, vomiting, etc. (except, Lillian seems to be teething, so how do I tell the difference?) When my doc called back (yes, I called them both. If I’d thought of anyone else, I’d have called them, too), he said that for infants the real indicator is stiffness in the neck about 4-5 days out, in addition to keeping an eye out for the other symptoms. I’m sure she’s fine, but still. Looking forward to the next two weeks. Yay.


Leave Your Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *